Wednesday, November 18, 2009

40 Hours in Beijing: Part 3

After I left 798, it was time to catch a cab and head to the Silk Market. I didn't think it would be a problem - in Dalian, there are taxis everywhere and they're pretty cheap. However, as the sun was setting and traffic was piling up, there were no cabs to be found. It was dark and bitterly cold and far from the subway - I was not a happy camper. There were buses, but I didn't know which one to take, so I kept trying to hail a cab, and 30 minutes later, I finally got one.

By the time I made it to the Silk Market and met up with my friends, it was almost time for dinner. I was okay with that - I hadn't planned on doing much shopping anyway, plus the vendors are pushy and aggressive, and I'm not really in the market for a fake Louis Vuitton bag or Prada sunglasses.


We then made our way to a restaurant to eat duck, that classic Beijing dish. Kim and Nick joined us, as well as a bunch of Pat's friends and Jess's friend. It was a really nice mix of people, delicious food, good conversation. We took a lovely group photo, in which I am the only one making a ridiculous face. (I was mid-laugh).

After dinner, about half of us went over to a cozy little bar close by, where there was live music. We went upstairs and sat in a warm, smoky room on pillows and bean bags, and drank White Russians and chatted some more. It was the ideal bar for the mood I was in, and I think everyone had a really nice time.

Us at the bar. I really like this photo, despite my nose, which seems to have decided to assert its Jewish pride in the last couple years. How does that even happen? Oy.

1 comment: