Sunday, December 27, 2009

HARBIN Part 1: Exploration.

Jessica and I arrived in snowy Harbin early on Christmas morning. We walked about 3 kilometers to our hotel, and by the time we reached the Tian Lun Fasion Hotel (do they mean "Fashion"?), both of us were a little bit in love with the city. It's a fairly walkable place; it has colorful, Russian-inspired architecture --- and it's always romantic to spend Christmas in a winter wonderland.

One of the most beautiful buildings we sought out was the Saint Sophia Cathedral, a huge Russian Orthodox church in the center of the city. I personally think it would be classier without the giant, inflatable Santa Claus, but what do I know? I'm just a kid.



We kept walking. I saw some happy red boots in the snow.


...and some workers preparing for the ice festival.


...and some early-evening snacks being purchased.


...and some eerie, beautiful lights on the frozen riverbank.


No comments:

Post a Comment