Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Founding of a Republic

.
A while back, I went to 和平广场 (Peace Plaza) and saw "The Founding of a Republic," a big, long, epic movie commemorating the 60th anniversary of the People's Republic of China. I was so pumped about it afterwards - not because it's an especially great movie (it's not), but because I'm always interested in how countries view themselves and their histories. Especially China. Especially today.

Last year, I contributed to a film site called "Critic's Notebook" with some other fine writers. Martin Tsai, the editor, has kindly kept me on, despite being in Dalian. He posted my review here: Bullish In A China Show. Upon second reading, I realized that I need to re-acquaint myself with punctuation. My run-on sentences are terrible! And I'm an English teacher! What a pity.

Martin had some really nice things to say about my review, but mentioned that
the scene involving Soong May-ling might be more of a comment on the Western objectification of Asian women than one about the libido of black men. It's a good point and I should have acknowledged it.

That being said, I'm fairly satisfied with the piece and I welcome any and all comments and criticism!

No comments:

Post a Comment